Saturday, September 30, 2006

Mine

Follow her home
Up the stairs
Sit at her door
Go through her mail
Has she been cheating on you?
Other visitors come and knock
You first saw her in the park
Brown hair, long and loose, tilted up
Her purse; one heel hitting pavement faster than the other
Imperfect girl, eyes a little dull
Shaded by past misfortunes
And tomorrow's anticipation
I follow her to a gravesite on Tuesdays
She crouches, puts a rose to her heart
And lays it before him, devoted
There's probably a poem about him in her nightstand
One of these days I'll get to read it
She steps back, looks down at ther hand and cringes
I follow her home again
I sit on the bench outside as her shadow
Runs routines through the curtain
Her silhouette stirs me:
The slow trun of her torso
The curve of her calves
Familiar design, an understandible figure
I lie down on the bench waiting for sunrise

No comments: