Friday, September 14, 2007

One

Face down, I breathe into sheets
The skin of your thighs against my ears
Thinking something devotional
That I don't say
a paralysis of the tongue
that strikes so frequently
On the edge of such simple words,
To me you are...
Infinite and syllable confounding
I will this and I will that all these beginnings
Without subjects that can suffice
We skip over in our haste
The small pleasure we derive
We slowly accumulate all the things we ought to say
And more and more we make love the way we do in my mind
How do I give you the knowledge
That I submit my soul to you?
Do i slip my hand in yours often
Or pine after you in the in-between hours
Do I close my eyes for you on distant mornings
Do i enter back into the skin of friendship
That i so easily slip into with you
How do I express the pleasure of being at your feet
(by not yelling at me for not cleaning up)
Or explain to you the tears in my eyes right now?
Love, something wrought from freedom
Bears us full of another person
That we drink and drink
Of their bodies all our lives
And listen to their words ring in our ears
Maybe you make
Smaller promises
Maybe you go with her
To buy ice cream at night
Or you forgive her a day
Maybe you moisturize him
When ants crawl in her veins instead of blood, and she will forgive you that day too
And maybe she misses a train
Because her alarm clock is in his car
I love you
me?
I am for you what I am for me

No comments: